4.27.2014

My Blonde Secret.

So I figured that I would let you in on a little secret weapon of mine. I get asked ALL of the time how I keep my blondes looking so blonde, and how I keep my blondes looking so healthy. As any of you fellow blondes will know that having healthy, silky, shiny blonde hair is not an easy task. Bleaching the hair can be very damaging and takes a lot of extra care to make it beautiful. So today I am letting you in on my secret which a lot of people call, "purple shampoo". 

This is my secret weapon to keeping my blonde hair from turning brassy and orange; which can easily happen in between touch ups. 

You can also use this if you have just had your hair lightened by your stylist but maybe it wasn't toned correctly, (although, if this happens you may just need to come see me. ;) ) but if it does happen, you can pull out this bad boy and tone it right up on your own. On the color wheel purple is the opposite of yellow/orange so it is going to help pull those out; to really clean up your blonde strands. 

Also note that you also do not have to be completely blonde to use these products. You can use them if you have a few highlights, ombre, or even some bayalage going on. Anywhere that has been lightened and is need of some attention you can use this. It will not affect dark hair so don't worry about shampooing your whole head even if you have just a few highlights.



These are the two purple shampoos that I personally use. First is the Clairol 'Shimmer Lights'. You can get this at any Sally's for around $8.00. The second shampoo is Matrix 'So Silver', and you will need to get this from a matrix salon, or it is available online at Ulta.com and it runs around $20 for a 33oz bottle. (and no you cannot find  REAL Matrix products at Walmart, Walgreens, etc. Those are imitations. Please do not use them, but that is a post for a whole different day.)

With these shampoos if you want to just brighten up your blondes you will just shampoo as normal, and leave it on for 2-3 minutes. If you are wanting to get some toning accomplished you will leave it on for around 5 minutes. Just watch for your hair, because if you leave it on too long the hair may can rinse out with a purple-ish tint. If that does happen, do not worry, the tint will wash out within one to two additional washes with regular shampoo. So just follow the instructions and you wont have any problems.

The only down fall I have ever had using these products is that it tends to be a tad drying to the hair, so just make sure you use a really good conditioner or even add in a deep condition whenever you use it! 

Honestly I love my purple shampoo, and pretty much can't live without it. I personally use it once a week or whenever I feel like my blondes need a little loving. 

So there you have it. My secret is out! :) I hope you enjoyed this post and were able to learn a little something. 

Let me know what you guys think, if you have tried it, or any questions!

xoxo beauties! 

4 comments:

  1. What do you know about medications and/or hormones affecting hair coloring?

    Gina in MInneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even after doing this my hair still has orange tones. I left it in longer, tried it on dry hair etc but it's still orange. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't doing anything because purple shampoo is for yellow hair. Since purple is the opposite of yellow on the color wheel, it cancels it out. Total Results So Silver is for blondes with yellow tones, while Total Results Brass Off is for blondes with orange tones. Try Matrix Total Results Brass Off instead.

      Delete
  3. Do use these shampoos together?

    ReplyDelete